A new report has revealed that more than 270,000 UK jobs are at risk of being lost when the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS) ends in September. So if you're worried that your job may not be there for you after the furlough period ends, it may be time to draw up an action plan.
Considering a career change after furlough?
Have you been on furlough since the CJRS began? Then you will have had plenty of time to consider whether your current role offers the career progression you need. If you have been wondering, "Can I look for a new job on furlough?"- the answer is yes. There's nothing to stop you from looking for another position while still on furlough with your current employer. If you are successful, you will have to tell your boss you're leaving and work out your period of notice, just as you would if you were still working full-time.
Alternatively, if you want to know "Can you work part-time while on furlough?", you can do that, too. But you must have your employer's permission and be prepared to return to your old job at the end of the furlough scheme.
How do I kick-start my career?
Here are some hints and tips to get you started:
Rework your CV
- Add in any new skills or qualifications you have acquired since your last job search.
- You could highlight these by creating a separate 'Skills' section.
- Don't forget to include keywords and formatting that applicant tracking systems can pick up.
- Leave out old or irrelevant positions or summarise earlier jobs in a brief paragraph.
- Refresh your personal statement if required.
Sharpen up your interview skills
- Record yourself answering questions using a video camera or smartphone. You can then assess your performance by looking at body language, posture, eye contact and verbal expression.
- Write likely questions down on flashcards, so you become used to answering them in any order. In addition, you’ll find hints on how to answer estate agent interview questions on our website.
- Ask a friend or family member to act as the interviewer and then give you some honest and constructive feedback.
If you're looking for a new job, our friendly recruitment team would be delighted to help you find an exciting new career in the property industry. Simply browse our job listings, upload your CV or contact us for a confidential chat.